View Single Post
childcaremom 08:48 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by KayB:
This is exactly our issue! I swap toys out every 3 months and we do an art project..music...circle time through out the day but they are not interested! No matter how fun we try to make it! My ages are 2-4 years and they have NO imagination nor do they try even after we get involved! They would rather lay around and talk or pick on one another. I honestly blame technology and non parental involvement without involving technology! But I am interested in responses from other providers
When I reopened I had a group of older ones who were like this. I dropped all my planning and bare minimum structure. All free play. Little to no direction from me. It took a couple of painful weeks and then they got it. Then I slowly started adding activities back in. When they started to get too dependent on adult led stuff, back to free play.

Give them the gift of boredom.

ETA: I have a 3 yo who is like this right now. I spend Monday letting him readjust to playing independently. Usually by Tuesday we are good to go back to our routine of circle, art, etc. He had a month long stretch where he could not play no matter what. Lay around. Complained. Etc. Turns out, he had been spending a ton of time on the ipad at home. Worst inventions ever.