View Single Post
Annalee 07:59 PM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by KellyinCalgary:
I know I have been posting a lot lately, but I can't help it. Please forgive me.

How many of you are strictly play based vs having a preschool like curriculum? And how do YOU define play based? I am feeling really inferior in what I offer because for the most all I do is the traditional "go play" route and I feel like maybe the parents are expecting more than I am offering. I have babies and preschoolers and I find it difficult to offer a structured curriculum with the varying ages and needs. I originally thought that I would do more structured learning during nap times, but with the developmental levels of the preschoolers, I am finding it hard, plus I really need to keep them quiet in order for the little ones to sleep (naps are a high priority for the parents) and you know how loud kids can get even when they think they are being quiet.

So I guess I needs ideas, either of how to implement more learning activities or how to spin the "play based learning" so that it sounds more professional.

Thanks.
My curriculum is play-based but I have themes for the month. Like, for Sept. one of the themes is apples so I set up an apple market with recipe books (literacy), cash register (math), fruits/vegetables can be used for science, phones (language), interaction takes place for social-emotional, labeling these items is beneficial as well but the children basically create their own learning experiences while I just facilitate it. ....each play center is filled with what kids need to prepare for the next level. My actual group-preschool time is small...i.e. calendar, weather, plans for the day...my story time sometimes has everyone join in, sometimes a few, sometimes one....my infants sleep on one side of the room with a fan running so the noise doesn't bother them...Don't feel inferior by all this info, I didn't always know this nor did I know how to implement it in my program....I have been here 22 years and have a great mentor along with being a part of many child care organizations and early childhood peers......just breath and start putting together how you want to do this....there are multiple ways to enhance children's learning...find what works best for you and the children in your care.... Good luck!