View Single Post
Annalee 08:09 PM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I do preschool curriculum two days each week and the others are play days.
We have a sign hung by the cubbies so that kids recognize which day is which.

I find that two days of the more structured learning is plenty for my group, and they are SO happy to "go play" the other days.

I began the formal curriculum as an experiment, but the parents and kids love it, so I continued. I have come to like the balanced approach of doing both. I am generally totally full on my preschool days (I do all part time care) so that tells me that it's desired. And I like having a slightly smaller group on "play days" because I can often get a few things done, as well as spend extra time one-to-one with each of the kids. It's also when I have new families visit, and days that I recommend to parents of new infants.

I am happy on "play days" when I can observe their play skills, supplement their interests with a few extra items, and pull out books that support their interests OR to give them "seeds" for new play ideas. I consider "play days" to be MY strength - good old-fashioned family child care It develops strong social skills, creativity, self-awareness, and allows each child to learn at their own level.

And, if you ask any one of my kids, ever, what their favorite part of preschool is, they will tell it that it's "learning centers" which is basically FREE PLAY

Not sure if any of that is helpful to you, but it's what I do
I agree with the "learning centers" play because children are allowed to make their own choices which makes learning fun......