View Single Post
Play Care 03:21 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by KellyinCalgary:
I don't know quite what a "play toys rate" is. I am in Canada and parents pay a flat monthly rate, not by the week. I charge what other dayhome providers in the area charge, which works out to be $200/child/week. During interviews, I have never said that I was going to do a curriculum or themes, just that I provide a safe, caring place for your child while you are at work. No one has ever asked either. The parents haven't said anything, it is just how I am feeling. My husband thinks I am over thinking again, but every time I come on here, it reminds me of what else I am not doing, kwim? And to add to that, when I tell my husband some of the ideas I get on here, he puts them down because that involves spending more money on toys/supplies (ie. the apple theme example) and making more work for myself. You all seem like true professionals and I feel like a glorified babysitter.
For many years I did a preschool program, similar to what another poster described (monthly themes, learning centers, etc.) I LOVED it...BUT the reality was in the parents eyes, I was still the "sitter." I thought parents were choosing me because of that(preschool stuff), but the reality was that they want a safe place to leave their child while at work - period. The learning stuff is a perk because they think it means the tv won't be on all day
That said, if you want to do more, DO it! Just know you are doing it for you...
When I was starting out and money was tight, I used our local library, free internet sites, etc to put together activities. Obviously I don't know your financial situation, so your husband may be under a lot of stress especially if you are just starting out and not making a lot. I know my husband gets testy when things are tight and I'm spending like a Trump But really you can incorporate themes without spending a lot. And sometimes you have to spend a little money to make some money...