View Single Post
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 12-28-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
There isn't an alternative to my using playlists in my daughter's homeschooling.

The point of homeschooling is that parents decide what works best for their child's needs/learning style etc. And the time of day I run them is simply what works best for her and the group. It's a personal, day to day judgement.
I don't mean this rudely but I am pretty sure the state doesn't see your DD's homeschooling as MORE important than child care regs. kwim?

More than likely the state's response to that would be something along the lines of "We aren't concerned about your DDs homeschooling, we are ONLY concerned about DC children during daycare hours".

It's a choice YOU are making. The state isn't forcing you to homeschool at the same time you offer child care services.

Does that make sense? I am just trying to point out the other side of your argument.
I honestly don't have a this or that stance. Just playing devil's advocate...

I am not sure what a great alternative would be for using screen time to help with separation anxiety/emotional kids.
Routine and consistency.

Separation anxiety is based off of fear.
Fear of the unknown.

The ONLY way to cure that is to build a secure attachment with the child. A child that has bonded with the provider and knows the provider is consistent with love, assistance and nurturing behaviors will come to trust the provider very quickly.

Using the TV to reduce stress/anxiety for a child is just a crutch... It creates the illusion of something the child is familiar with but since Dora really isn't comforting or reassuring to the child in any long term sense, it's just that...a short term fix for a long term issue.

I choose instead to begin building that attachment from day one. I feel that is more genuine than using cartoon characters to bridge that gap.

It has really helped me get over some humps with kids like that. I guess that I could probably come up with some other ideas, or you all could, but...why? Weighing it out, why is a little Dora or Elmo such a bad thing for some of these kids who are having struggles. I wean them off it as soon as I can, just as I would wean them off a bottle or anything else.
That ^^^ to me is no different than someone saying:

"I lost 100 lbs by starving myself."

or

"I lost 100 lbs by changing my eating habits and exercising."

Yes, the results are the same but the process isn't.
That (for me anyways) is the difference.

FWIW~ I am not at all saying you don't have reason to vent/complain about this... I think FAMILY child care rules and regs are getting ridiculous on many levels.... I am just trying to point out the other side of things.

It's human nature to do what works and not see/understand that there ARE other methods of successfully achieving the same results.