View Single Post
Unregistered 07:44 PM 05-18-2009
i found out last week that the director at my sons daycare (he is 2) has implemented a new discipline plan. The staff was asked to reward the kids at snack time with a "good" snack if they had behaved and a "bad" snack if they had misbehaved. The bad snack was Melba Toast!!! When I contacted the director to voice my disapproval she replied that "it had really been effective in the pre-k class room. She admitted that it was her idea and that she had wondered if the parents would have a problem with this!!! I asked that she not do this for two reasons 1. Melba toast might not be as tasty as a cookie, but it is a healthy food and 2) If a child misbehaves at 8'oclock in the morning, and snack time is at 11, it is not an effective punishment for the misbehavior. I have since found out that she is continuing the discipline in the other classrooms and that she was very upset with the staff member that told me about the situation. Apparantly she didnt want the parents to know about it. I would like to hear other comments on this. Am I wrong in thinking that this director is out of line. Not to mention that a child was left unattended last week and got into a cabinet with art suppies etc. Any one have suggestions on how I should handle this situation?