View Single Post
childcaremom 08:27 AM 03-29-2017
How I handle it is this: it happens once and they are my shadow. NO access to other kids. Separate play areas. Then I reintegrate and watch closely. If it happens twice then parents are put on notice. A lot of redirection. Right beside them, watching for triggers, etc. If it happens three times, I'm done.

I don't care what age the child is. I am not equipped to handle that behaviour here. I am here by myself and I refuse to spend that much time shadowing when I have a whole group to care for.

If it gets to the terming point, I suggest going somewhere where there are at least 2 adults or just a plain change of scenery.

The child needs to be somewhere where they can 'succeed' and a change of scenery/environment can be enough to nip the behaviour. I also tell parents that I've taken on biters, from other daycares, and not had any issues here, so the environment plays a HUGE role, imho.

(I just termed a biter before Christmas, same age. SO much relief once she was gone. She had much the same aggressive behaviours and it was unpredictable and unmanageable in a 1 adult group setting.)