Thread: Out Door Time
View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:
I am in Indiana. I'm not sure how my state got set to Illinois. I have not been able to find anything on any government website regarding ages for Indiana. I have only been able to find the number of children I am allowed to take. Like I said, the two extra's I have are drop in's. It is only for a few days and my son is usually at a different daycare because they will not hold a spot for him in their school unless he attends. So traditionally he is not usually here.

I only have 5 here that are not my own on a regular basis and one of those 5 is my nephew. If I feel like I need a less certain days I send my daughter to my grandmother's house next door.
Age Range Ratio For Family Child Care in Indiana State
Birth to 24 months (1:6) two of the 6 children must be at least 16 months and walking. Otherwise the ratio is 1:4

Birth to 6 years (1:10) No more than 3 of the 10 children may be under sixteen months of age and must be walking

3-10 years (1:12)
All ages (1:12) the maximum capacity in a child care home is 1:12 plus 3 children during the school year who are enrolled at least in Grade 1

I also found this: http://www.in.gov/fssa/files/purduevalidityfinal.pdf

Where it says: Family child care providers who operate small homes may care for 6 to 11 children, plus 3 school-aged children. The maximum number of infants/toddlers to one provider is six children under the age of 2, with 2 or more 16 month olds and walking.

In large family child care homes, providers may care for 13-16 children. The maximum number of children per one provider in large family homes is 4:1 for infants; 6:1 for birth–2-years, with 2 or more 16-month old and walking; 10:1 for birth–6-year olds, with no more than 3 under 16-months; and 12:1 for 3 year olds and older.

So if I am interpreting it all correctly, you are within your ratios since a couple of the kids are related to you. I am not 100% sure though as the rules/regulations for each state are always written in such a round about way.

Back on topic though, I really do think the parents need to be the ones in charge of their child's outside time when you have so many littles. I don't think I would feel comfortable taking that many little ones outside and still keep them safe.

NOT saying anything against you, just that we already care for, love and nurture the kids we have in care, we can't always be the ones to pack everything in to one day.

Parents can surely spend some outside time with their children on off days and after work. Besides, infants don't really need that much outside play....just fresh air which parents can help them get by taking walks and such after work. HTH