Thread: HFM Question
View Single Post
HappyEverAfter 05:53 PM 10-17-2017
Background info to help you understand my question: I had a DCG who while out on vacation, contracted HFM. She stayed out of daycare for two days beyond what her doctor advised. When she came back, although her rash was very minimal and all blisters dried, I still kept her completely separate from the other two infants that I watch. All other parents were notified of the HFM situation prior to their children being here when DCG was here. I scrubbed and cleaned everything every evening after she left. I washed my hands so much more than normal that my skin is dry and cracking on both hands. Today, I noticed a rash on one of the infants that very well could be HFM. It's in his groin area only but definitely wasn't diaper rash. He didn't have it this morning and I noticed it during diaper change about an hour before pickup. I also took his temperature and it was 99.9. I checked again right before pick up and the rash was still there but his temp was down to 99.6. I showed DCD the rash and mention his temp at pick up but did not say I thought it was HFM. I simply said they needed to watch it and if it spread that he would need to go to the doctor. DCD seemed unconcerned but he honestly isn't allowed to make decisions about DCB. DCM wears the pants in that household.
So, my question is this: If it does turn out to be HFM, I should exclude him in the same manner I excluded the other girl, right? My husband said that seemed unfair since DCB caught it at my house. My thought is that he needs to be excluded as normal because my other infant hasn't caught it and neither have I and to exclude him would protect us from any additional exposure. My handbook policy excludes for HFM and fevers so if I go ahead and exclude him, it's my right according to policy. Also, secondly, if I do exclude, I should still charge the normal rate for the week as I did with the other girl, right? This is also in my handbook policies but again, my husband said it seemed unfair since if he does have HFM he caught it while in my care. I just want to know exactly what I'm going to do if in fact I have to have a conversation with DCM tomorrow and would appreciate some advice from those of you more seasoned than myself.