Thread: Dose and Drop
View Single Post
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I know there are a lot of threads on this, I was just wanting some advice on wording.

I've had some problems this cold season with dose and drops. I had one yesterday, and I've about had it. It's driving me bonkers! This is my HOME. This is not a center where everyone leaves at the end of the day (obviously not okay to do that there either!) You are bringing germs and illnesses into my home around my husband and my children.

I'm not stupid and it's safe for me to assume that after lunch when the Motrin is wearing off and your child has a 101+ fever, he woke up with one. I can't prove it, but somehow fevers always start at daycare. Colds and coughs happen, but fevers are never okay at daycare! You would think after sending these kids home after lunch for fevers, parents wouldn't try to pull a fast one on me. I know it's hard missing work, this is why a back up is a good idea.

Rant over

Anyways, I need to send out a letter to my families about RSV since I have a confirmed case. I was going to put something in it like:

Please do not send your child to daycare on pain/fever reducer. This masks any symptoms and exposes our entire group to cooties and germs. Thank you for your cooperation!

Sound good, bad? Would you say it differently?
Here is the info I send out for RSV
https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...C1806483CDC78D

As for dope and drops....I have 2 suggestions.

Use the 24/48 hour rule. It really does help.

As for what to say to parents, I would say:

"Dear Parents

Country Roads Child Care is a well child program. This means if your child requires medication to make it through the day, they are excluded from care.

Please do NOT medicate your child prior to drop off. Often times this simply masks an underlying illness which in turn is then spread to others and creates a cycle of illness that is difficult to stop.

Beginning, on Monday April X, 2019 I will be adopting a new policy for sending children home when ill. Normally my illness policy excludes children sent home from care until they have been symptom free for a full 24 hours without the use of OTC medications.

The new policy will require any child sent home from care to remain home for a full 48 hours after symptoms have subsided without the use of OTC medications.

This new policy will eliminate the continuous cycle of back and forth illnesses and will hopefully create an environment that is healthy for everyone.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you

Provider"