View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by Canbo:
Just now, I received an email from the owner, he thinks I screamed at his staff. And he decided to give my account to the collection agency. I am not even sure what type of debt he is referring to. As far as I know, they own us a deposit and we always pay at the beginning of the week upfront.
Originally Posted by Canbo:
So in this sense, it was not our choice not to send our kid to the daycare either. In a phone call just now, he talked to me and he was so angry. He referred to two unpaid weeks that we were on vacation last year (he says he waived these weeks last year but now he wants the money) and two more weeks of unpaid weeks because we didn't give notice. (we didn't see COVID-19 coming like this). He added that he never wants us back as a customer. Well, a stressful evening for something small. But I felt really offended. His email was a shorter version of this. I recorded our phone conversation and I have the emails. I am not sure if I can use them in court.
I'd like to hear more about this anger on his part.
Why does he think you yelled at the staff?
It sounds like there is a bit more going on than what you've stated as I don't understand why he is so angry with you/your family and why he would react this way.

I would request written copies of the paperwork you signed (if you didn't save copies yourself) so you can read through them and see what they say in regards to waiving vacation fees etc. If the OWNER choose to waive them without discussion in regards to future fees, he can't come back and charge them now. However if you had some other agreement in place it could be different.

Also, where does the the owner get the impression your husband knows about/knew about any of this? Did your husband have a conversation with any of the staff about this?

I don't know what state you are in but please be aware that there are both federal and state wiretapping laws that may limit your ability to making recordings of telephone calls or without consent. In some state's it's perfectly legal but I don't know about use of those recordings in small claims court though.