View Single Post
Crystal 07:10 AM 06-01-2010
For the record, I do use those same techniques Nanny....I certainly command respect from the children I work with, and from day one, the expectation is set that they will behave, be polite and respectful, use manners, etc. I personally have very few behavior issues with my children, and when I do, it is dealt with quickly.....

I also do not praise children over every little thing, but if I have a child who is quick to hit, and he chooses to "use his words" rather than lash out, you bet I am going to acknowledge that and let him know that I am proud of him for making the right choice. And, when a child goes above and beyond normal expectations, you bet I am going to let them know I am proud of them., give em' a hug and a high five and make sure all the other children hear/see it.

I also do not see it as a "sign of weakness" (thanks for the pot shot BTW) to get down to eye level when I need to discipline a child. It is mutual respect, and in my experience you get the same effect (good behavior) as you do when standing over a child intimidating them and making them feel worthless....except with kneeling to eye level and speaking directly to them they get the message more clearly and tend to be respectful becaue they choose to, not because they are scared to piss me off.

When they are being corrected I stand above them. God made them smaller than us for a reason. They respond to being hoovered over just like many other animals in the animal kingdom. It's a sign of dominance and control. We are supposed to be their leaders. We are supposed to be in control.

And to this I must say WOW! Sure we are supposed to be "in control" but you make children sound as though they are not even as worthy as my dog. I think there are much better ways to have control, and being overly controlling and intimidating is not better IMO.