View Single Post
AnneCordelia 05:49 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
My point being, if you feel that way, you should not celebrate or teach or whatever about CHRISTmas. Celebrate whatever you want, but if you are talking about December 25th, that is the BIRTH of CHRIST and THAT is CHRISTmas. Notice the first word in the holiday.

If you don't believe in CHRIST, than you are not celebrating CHRISTmas. Saying you are not going to use the reglion aspects of CHRISTmas, is like saying you are going to teach about Independence Day and not talk about America.
Like many things, the word 'Christmas' has evolved over time. Christmas is much more than the just Christian religion at this point, and is a very real secular holiday as well. Just as Christmas evolved originally as Pagan holiday to a Christian one, and now to a secular one.

I am not Christian but I celebrate Christmas. I celebrate gift-giving, good food, family, friends, decorating my home, listening to music, and the many other traditions from this holiday that aren't religious.

With that in mind, I do see what you're saying. I am an atheist, and hope for my children to also be agnostic/atheist, but I believe in being educated about religious options. I teach the kids about the basic religious background of Hannukah, Christmas, the Winter Solstice, Ramadan, and other religious holidays throughout the year. We eat traditional foods on those days too; it's lots of fun.