View Single Post
Pestle 07:42 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by Second:
1) The children are not allowed to be unsecured while I'm doing a diaper change.
That is odd. Not allowed to be "unsecured"--does that mean the child you are currently changing must be secured? That's usually a requirement. I find it hard to believe the state wants all the kids who aren't being changed to be strapped down. Many states do not permit children to be secured at all unless they're in the process of eating a meal. I'm assuming this is a center rule, and not a state regulation?

It sounds to me like somebody in charge of the procedure at your center is misinterpreting the regulations. If the other kids need to be in arm's length but the changing room isn't safe for them to wait in, it sounds like somebody needs to redesign the changing room.

Also, checking hourly is typical and changing every two hours is typical, but changing everybody hourly is oddly frequent. I think most of us feel like some wires have gotten crossed between your state regulations, your center policies, and how you've been taught to apply them.

Now, myself, I have a bunch of gates, so I can keep the other kids just on the other side of the open door while I'm changing and supervise everybody at once.

Yeah; you need to pick up your changing pace! You should be able to change an infant and wash your hands in a minute or two if there's not enormous blowout to deal with. However, if these mobile kids are taking a few minutes to sit on the potty, I can see why it'd take so long. The CDC recommends a minimum of 20 seconds of scrubbing in running water after you've got your hands lathered up. I have the kids wet their hands, turn the water off, soap up their hands, and turn the water back on and scrub while I sing the ABC song.