View Single Post
Play Care 03:19 AM 04-01-2016
Originally Posted by :
There is a stereotype that all kids with DS are always sweet and happy and loving but this is not true. Kids with DS are as different from each other as non-DS are. Their abilities can range from almost "normal" to very severely disabled but are usually somewhere in the middle
This.
I would only do it if I was getting a LOT of support/services from outside. I worked in a Day Hab for young adults with developmental/intellectual disabilities. A couple of the folks had DS, and were at times fairly aggressive (more so than the others) often "cranky" etc. We had to be extremely cautious around young children because they could be far too rough with them - and yes, sometimes intentionally. I know these were young adults not infants/toddlers, but both came from loving, supportive homes.
As others have pointed out those with DS often have heart problems as well as issues with eating, etc.
I don't say this to be a Negative Nancy. As pointed out about I think there's a perception of those with DS out there that's not entirely accurate.