View Single Post
professionalmom 03:46 PM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I'm sure there have been providers all over that have already had to answer questions regarding gay men and/or lesbian women. "Why does Timmy get to live with his two mommies? How come he only gets to see his two daddies on the weekends (or in the summer or whatever)?" I have a relative who is a gay man that is friends with a lesbian couple. He helped them (medically) conceive a child. This little boy is going to start kindergarten this fall. He lives with his moms, but his dad is still actively involved. I'm sure that has already (and will continue) to raise questions in the minds of many children.

I would think that for most preschoolers a simple answer would do. "Timmy has two mommies (daddies) because they love each other very much, just like your mommy and daddy do."
I think these are very personal questions and should be explained by the PARENT. Just the same as when a child asks me, "Where do babies come from?" or "How did the babies get in your tummy?" My answer is always, "That is a very interesting question and you are such a big girl (or boy) for asking. But, I think your mommy and daddy (or whatever the combo of parent or parents are) would be much better at answering that question." Then I privately discuss (usually with a lowered voice so the kids can't hear) with the parent(s) what was asked and that I told the child that they (the parents) would be better able to answer that question.

Yes, the questions come up. But these are very private, sensitive, and intimate issues and I think that the parents should be the ones to answer these questions. That was my point earlier - maybe the parent wanted to be the one to explain what gay and lesbian means. I am a highly educated woman, fully apprised of what gay and lesbian means. I have relatives and friends that are gay and lesbians. And I will educate my children about what it is, what it means, etc. I do NOT want someone else teaching my child about this stuff. I want to use MY words. I want to be present for any education my children receive in personal, intimate, and sensitive topics like this. How does that make me, the OP, or anyone else, a hypocrite or a bigot, which was mentioned earlier? Unless we are now saying that parents are completely incapable of raising their own children as they see fit and educating them on sensitive topics.