View Single Post
thrivingchildcarecom 10:13 AM 02-10-2016
I actually have what I call a Pre-Enrollment Program (PEP) that I created out of the need in my community to lock down an infant spot months (sometimes several) in advance. I agree with you that the closer to the actual care date is optimal, but with a shortage of infant spots many parents don't want to have to search and settle if they wait too long.

Hence the birth of the PEP program. We accept pre-enrollments 3-6 months prior to the child care need. I even had a parent pay the full tuition each month until they actually used the spot. I thought that was a bit much so I amended it to charge only $100 a month to hold the spot. Last year I amended that to charge a fee equal to one weeks tuition for each month we hold the spot. So if your infant tuition is $175/w the parent would need to pay $175 for each month you hold the spot for them. It is still way less than the full tuition that you would be receiving should a parent enroll in the spot tomorrow. Which, by the way, is what I inform the parents at the tour. Also, the PEP (holding) fee does not go toward the tuition and is forfeited if the family ultimately does not enroll.

One way I make this work without loosing too much $$$ waiting for a spot to actually be occupied is to anticipate the open spots. So for instance, in CA a child is an infant until 24 months. I anticipate the children that will be turning 2 yrs old 3-6 months in advance and begin advertising for that infant spot way in advance so that I can hopefully pull in that expectant or new parent to pre-enroll for the spot.

If you would like more details of how I work my PEP program, just send me a PM with your email and I would be happy to share.