View Single Post
Holiday Park 09:57 PM 04-07-2013
I had to let my oldest (now 15,going on 16) start school when he was 5,going on 6. His BD is Sept 2ND,and the cut off is the 1ST. I had it already planned out before he was even school aged,that I would help him academically,early on just IN CASE he ever had any struggles,and to help prevent him from having too much of a hard time in school. I'm glad I did. He just seemed like the kind of toddler that gave me the feeling that he needed this extra help from early on. So him starting kindergarten at nearly 6, did not bother me. I used workbooks, life experiences, teaching him as much as I could (abc,counting,colors,how to write,etc..) ,as well as placing him in private pre-K and daycare well before he could start kindergarten. I feel my own involvement in combination with his daycare&private pre-K experience helped him greatly and made a huge difference . He became a sweet,well behaved boy who made straight A's until he reached fourth grade. He has maintained honor roll,to a few C's. But works VERY hard at school. He has to work longer&harder to get the good grades. If he were in a higher grade,he would probably be drowning in struggles. So he NEEDED that extra year.

Taught #2 as much as I could the early years,before pre-K. He was advanced in motor skills,and everything he did from infancy. (crawling at 5 months,walking by 1,using utensils by 1) He was only placed in pre-K outside my home,because I wanted to work from home,and also have time to teach my 3RD child during HER early years (she is two years younger).

I went on to continue teaching her all the way through kindergarten myself. Both my middle children (#2 & #3) now 7&9 have been tested for the gifted program at their elementary school. They are both popular in their grades/school with no issues making friends and are loved by their teachers.
Both of them had birthdays, within 2 months of cut off month, so were/are younger in each of their classes. They both are at an advantage. Not only naturally smart that i did my best with nurturing, but entered school young.

They both had teachers hoping to get them in their classrooms the following year,after school ended (these teachers told me so) . They are above average in both reading & math and was in the advanced math&reading classes when those classes were offered. She reads at a fourth grade level.
I think if the child is behind socially, to not move them up and also make sure you have ways of nurturing their need to learn at a higher level (if they are extra smart).
My two middle kids who excelled in everything early on, would probably be more challenged if they were both in higher grades right now. I think they would even do fine with kids 1-2 years older than them,since they do so well socially right now,are popular and make friends so easily. But They are not bored in school,and enjoy the grade level they are each in. And since they make honor roll/straight A's ,I will leave well alone ;-) I'm sure by high school they will be glad that it won't be too,too hard. Hopefully.

I agree that it can also be bad for the child if he/she is ready to learn at an earlier age. I had a 2 yr old in my home 4 years ago. By the time he was 3, between his parents&I, he knew all his letters,letter sounds,how to count to 20 by heart,and how to count to 100,looking at the numbers chart. He was already practicing to write letters on paper too,could cut,and color. He cried when my son got on the bus,because he wanted to go to school too. I felt bad for him,because he was not only super smart but his birthday was after the cut off,just like with my oldest. And he could have benefited from going to school EARLIER despite being younger,and not getting to start school until a year later. So I agree, some kids can still be advanced,even if they are a year younger.
I also don't agree all kids are one size fits all. Some can't excel in a regular school environment. Some do fine.