View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by daycarenewbie:
Started a new child after christmas break, first warning sign was her being dropped off on New Years Day, despite my contract listing the days I'm closed...I let it slide because I had nothing planned and figured the little one could keep my daughter company.

Well, I was completely stuffed up with a cold and it wasn't until my husband came home from picking us up coffees that he pointed out our house reeked of cigarette smoke, and it seemed to be coming off the little one, her diaper bag, and her blanket from home

I stripped her down, washed everything and stuck some dryer sheets in her diaper bag, trying not to judge. We are a non smoking home and are very sensitive to smell. However frustration mounted when mom had car trouble and wasn't able to come until 7:30pm. My hours are 7-4:30pm...but I made excuses, we've all been there with car troubles!

The next day when my regulars came back from vacation the parents also noted the smoke, I was neutral and told them I'd talk it over with the new little one's parents.

The parents deny they smoke I just really really doubt this, as each day her clothing, her body, and her things just absolutely reek again and so do the parents now that I have an unstuffed nose. It doesn't help that the little girl is not on a schedule, she is allowed to stay up until 10pm and is delivered here sleeping everyday in the morning until the time when most kids are just going down for nap so these last 2 weeks have been beyond stressful.

Anyways, add to the fact they have been late every single day, still citing car troubles and new job times, I feel I need to terminate and swiftly.

What's a nice way to do this? In my contract I do have to give them 2 weeks notice and will honor that but I'm honestly dreading when they ask me why and I have to list off the reasons...
Do you have a trial period? If so I would just decline to permanently enroll this child.

Also, these parents are taking advantage of you because you are allowing them to. You are right, we all have car troubles etc but that does not mean their problems are YOUR problems. If they have car trouble they should have called a back up and had that back up person come pick up their child rather than assume you would just keep her after closing.

I would NEVER have taken her in on New Year's Day. That was the first thing that told these parents that their issues will be managed by you. And they are doing exactly that.

I'd stop worrying about notice and simply tell them you are not a good fit for their needs (they need a 24/7 center) and that you are no longer willing to provide care after today.

The cigarette odor, the late pick ups, disregard for program policies etc are grounds for immediate termination in many programs.

I am sorry you are having to manage this. These types of situations aren't pleasant but do yourself a huge favor and stop worrying about their end of this situation and worry about you and yours. Term and don't feel bad. You have to look out for you and yours just like anyone else.