View Single Post
Unregistered 03:37 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
how did this sum it up? I am not sure I understand what you are saying here?
I think this person thinks it was "summed up" because I think I am the boss & need to realize that I am not. This is true, I need to really think about daycare as a service that I sign up for. I know I am having a hard time viewing it the right way. & I am sorry for that. I just have a hard time paying someone and then dealing with that person when they are not doing the job to my standards. I know that this is not the same thing as hiring an employee. This is very different, but at the same time, there are similarities. It's hard for me to grasp that. I will get over that, just need to think about it as a business owner. I apologize for offending anyone with my wrongful way of labeling the work you do for me.

On another note, this really isn't summed up. I thought it was a GREAT idea to find a SAHM to watch my son. But I would HAVE to ask her what goes on day to day, and she could list all these wonderful things all day long, if she wanted. But I am still asking a stranger to care for my son, I would HAVE to visit her home and watch what goes on with these children, even if only for an hour or so. I cannot believe what she says and drop my kid off the next day. No way. I mean, what if she sits on the couch all day and yells at the kids to shut up because she is trying to hear the TV? What if she says it is OK for my son to have potato chips and chocolate ice cream for lunch? I know nothing like that would go on while I was watching, but I could get idea of who she is and what she does by watching her tone and how she interacts with the kids. I wouldn't mind if she folded laundry and let the kids help, or watered the plants, or turned on a good TV show for them for a little bit. I understand that a child does not have to be sitting at a table reciting ABC's and 123's and doing the standard "curriculum"-based activities in order to learn. My mother watched my son for quite a long time, he learned so much spending his days with her. She did not do anything special, she took him to the park, showed him how to tie his shoelaces, my son actually knows how to fold a towel perfectly, lol. He can say his ABC's and count to 19. (He gets mixed up after that and goes back to 12). I actually wouldn't mind if the SAHM drove my son around, as long as they didn't take a full 8 hour road trip each day, & there were logical reasons to drive him, that is fine. I just need to know I can trust this person first. How can I do that if it is too weird for me to watch for a little while? I need to make a good call on this person and evaluate them the best I can before I allow my child to spend a great, big chunk of his life at this home? Can I get some suggestions here? (I also just registered but I am not sure if I should sign in because I do not want to get attacked and remembered as a horribly difficult parent that daycare providers hate, and I am not sure if I will be using this forum regularly. I don't typically have this many daycare issues. The whole nap thing with a recent provider really irked me. I went searching online for other nap policies pertaining to four year olds, and I came across this).