View Single Post
Leigh 08:14 AM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My 4 yr old NEVER takes a nap when she is at home, but when she is at daycare she sleeps 1-2 hrs. I don't agree with the people who say she NEEDS the sleep, because guess what happens when she sleeps that long? She is up until 11 pm that night!! This happened yesterday/last night and as result she only got 8 hrs of sleep last night before having to wake up to go to daycare where she OF COURSE slept 2 hrs today because she was exhausted from not sleeping last night. So now, here I am as I type watching my wide awake chi,d quietly play with babies with not a tired bone in her body at 9:30 pm. Guess we're destined for a repeat tonight. Thanks, daycare.
Of course a 4 year old NEEDS the sleep. My child's doctor told me just last month that they NEED naps far longer than they are allowed to have them. That children should nap at LEAST through age 6.

I have a 4 year old daycare child whose parents tell me he doesn't sleep at home because of his naps here. The doctor says he guarantees it's because the child doesn't have a firm schedule at home. Guess what? The child does not have a firm schedule at home. Sometimes they don't serve dinner until 8:30 at night. Sometimes it is at 6. The child is sometimes put to bed at 9, sometimes at, and I am not joking, 12:30!

If a child's bedtime is SET IN STONE, if there is a regular routine and the children are put to bed and expected to stay there without watching TV or playing games, the kid will sleep at night.

I am not trying to criticize you, only letting you know that ALL 4-year olds NEED a nap. Of course, getting the child and the parent to agree is the issue.

I seriously recommend taking a good look at your routine. WHY is your child playing at 9:30? Your child should be in bed with the lights out-no toys. Don't blame the daycare, take a look at home first. If your child wasn't tired at daycare, your child would not nap-simple as that.