View Single Post
Unregistered 02:04 AM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't view saying someone is not your friend as negative. Sometimes it's good that some people aren't friends. lol!

lol! I know what you mean or at least what you are trying to say but I still don't see it that way.

In response to the examples you posted above...some are observations, some are opinions etc and all are probably blunt or not as tactful as we think they should be but it's all still okay in my book.

This just happened here shortly before lunch:

3 yr old Curtis plays well with most of the kids in daycare but he does not play well with Oscar. Oscar and Curtis just don't get along. They are not friends.

Oscar comes over to where Curtis is playing and says "I want to play." Curtis does not want to play with Oscar and doesn't want him to join the activity so Curtis says "No. You are not my friend".

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
It's not hurtful, mean or bullying in any way.
It's simply the fact. Oscar and Curtis are not friends.

They have a history that proves that so I don't expect Curtis to say anything but that.
Yes, he could probably say something like "You can have a turn as soon as I am finished but I am playing."

But I am not really in the camp of walking on egg shells so someone isn't offended or upset by someone else's thoughts or words (unless truly meant to be hurtful) and honestly think that is part of the reason our society has become so sensitive. Seem everything (no matter how small) is offensive to someone.
No, our society has not "become too sensitive", our society has become more comfortable with pointing out rudeness and inappropriate language/behavior. If loudly announcing to someone that you are not their friend is considered rude and unneccesary by pretty much everyone except oneself, and as you can see in the thread it is, there's a really good chance that's it actually rude. It may be time to really reevaluate that rather than hiding behind/clinging to some beliefs that "our society has become too sensitive".