View Single Post
mamac 09:00 PM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I wouldn't. I don't like the idea of making him be or feel privileged. What does that teach him?
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Providers son would have the new shiny and most coveted car putting him in a position of lording it over the other kids. Just not the position I would put my own kids in. I would just buy another car and it's for everyone. If I were a parent in this program, I would not be pleased either.
I don't see why a parent would have a problem with a provider's son having a toy that isn't used for daycare children. Would that mean that all the son's toys have to be shared? Does he have to nap on the floor with the rest of the kids or can he sleep in his own bed? It's not like she's buying it for one particular dck. It's her son and it is his house after all. He should be allowed to have things of his own that the other kids don't have access to. I even do this with my own two children. When my youngest ds got to the age where he really started playing with his big brother's toys I told my older ds that he was allowed to keep his "special" toys away from his brother and not have to share. These were toys that were the most precious to him. I am all for teaching about sharing but no one should have to share everything.

The only concession I would make in this situation is that he cannot brag or tease the other children about it being "only his." And I, as the provider, would explain to the children about having items that are "special" to us all and that there are times when it really is okay to not have to share everything.