View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What do you say to parents who are complaining about picking up a sick child? Lately there have been two parents who complain that their job is mad or they are going to be in trouble with work. One dad said his job told him to have a back up plan.

Yes they need to have a back up plan. I've only sent these two home once so it's not like I've been sending them home so if their parents are using the sick kid excuse with work then that's on them.

I'm just very tired of the complaining. I was actually a little blunt with one parent and said too bad! Your sick kid can't be here figure something out.

What do you say when parents are complaining about their jobs and having to pick up a sick kid?
I explain to parents that their work responsibilities have NOTHING to do with daycare.

If THEIR child is sick and excluded from my care, being at work, getting permission to miss work etc has no connection whatsoever to daycare.

THAT is where the flaw lies with parents. They seem to think daycare and their work is connected somehow.

Explain to them that if THEIR work requires them to be there or does not provide much PTO then THEY need to make sure they have that aspect of THEIR life covered as it has nothing to do with daycare.

Parents need to learn to keep the two issues separate.

As for what to actually say...when parent says "my work is getting mad that I am missing so much time when Jr gets sick"

Provider: "I totally understand. I'd be upset if I were your employer too so I guess it's time to make sure you have a plan in place so that when Jr gets sick and can't come to daycare you have someone else that can watch him"

I just keep replying in a manner that lets them know the two have nothing to do with each other. Just as if they were talking about an issue with their garbage man or cable person...I understand but it has nothing to do with me.