View Single Post
mamajennleigh 07:31 AM 01-27-2010
So, the hope is that he will eventually "get it" that he is ok, and that he doesn't need to be held all day?

I did go through this with one other child, and I simply let her cry and would come and sit near her, or pat her occasionally, reminding her that everything was "fine" and she was "ok". She of course didn't cry for more than 15 minutes or if she did, I checked her diaper, made sure she had been fed recently, and then assumed she was tired so I put her to bed. After a week or so, she just stopped doing it and now she rarely cries. Same with dcb #2. This kid is another story altogether though. I kept track and yesterday, he cried nonstop from 8:30 to 9:45am, and then again from 3:00pm to 4:45pm, with no break. He started throwing up on himself yesterday afternoon from all the crying.

There is just no way I can hold a child (standing up because he starts crying again immediately if you sit down) all day long. I didn't do it for my own children. I guess I am just eager for him to stop crying because it causes major disruption in my house and to my other kids, and because it causes me major stress. It literally makes my ears ring when he follows me into the kitchen screaming. We have ceramic tile floor which just amplifies it.

So, I want to make sure I have this right: if he starts crying, I give him a minute to calm on his own, reassure him all is well, and then wait how long before I put him in the crib? And, if I put him in the crib, how long do I wait before getting him back out? And, how often do I do this? Every time he cries, or just when it's gone over x amount of time or intensity?

THanks so much again, for your help!