View Single Post
Blackcat31 03:23 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
My discussion with her was very frank. I don't rock, I don't sing, I don't wrap up in a blanket, etc.

I told her that there are other children that are paying just the same if not more than her rate that will receive the same attention as every other child.

I told her not to be surprised if baby is hoarse for a few weeks while he acclimates to our setting, surroundings and how he his cared for.

Crying is a babies natural way of exercising.

While he was here for 2 hours (2 different interviews), I never had any notion that this child NEEDED this type of care. This is the mother's way of keeping the baby a baby forever. She did the same thing almost a year ago when their 3 year old started. "Make sure he gets lots of hugs, he needs them."

This baby is going to have a "come to Jesus" with gravity and belly time.

At least I know what I'm in for and I'm ready to tackle this bull by the horns!

I really don't for one second think this is how the baby NEEDS to be cared for, this is how mom has done it while she's been on maternity leave for the last 3 months.
I do not mean this rudely (as I am not necessarily a "baby person" so I FULLY understand) but seriously?? You don't rock the babies, sing to the babies or wrap them in blankets while you snuggle with them in your care?

I understand that the type of one-to-one care she is requesting of you is not always possible, but isn't that why there are regulations as to the number of adults to infants in a care setting? So the infants can get snuggles, rocked and sang to?

Also, is this baby under 6 months old? If he is, I can't imagine that the CIO method or whatever means he is going become "hoarse" from while at your house is probably not developmentally appropriate.

I think it is fabulous that the mom is sharing with you the exact way she does things so that you will be able to "read" her baby better. It doesn't mean that you HAVE to follow her methods or routine to a tee but I would hope that by "tackling this bull by the horns" you aren't meaning that this child's schedule or routine will be severely interupted or disregarded... if that is the case, the mom should know that and be allowed to exercise her right to find care that does meet her (and her child's) needs.

Babies this young absolutely need close contact with their provider and the "come to Jesus" moment with gravity that you have referred to probably shouldn't happen until the baby has made his adjustment to your environment and secure attachment to his caregiver.

I am sure you probably didn't mean the words as they sound (which come across as kind of harsh) and I am sure you are a very warm and caring provider but your response just sounds like you are mocking this mother and planning to disregard any and/or all of her wishes when it comes to the care of her child.

Like I said, I am not trying to start a debate, war, argument etc etc...but please re-read your words and pretend you are a parent having to leave your most loved and cherished angel with someone else, how would you take the words you wrote. I know my heart would break if I thought you really felt that way about my baby....or me as the whole tone is kind of like you are making fun of her.

I say this, because as a forum board, providers have a need to vent and get things off their chests, but you didn't even think so far as to put this in the Off-Topic section, but right out there on the open forum for any parent to read.....just kind of gives providers a bad image if parents thought we all felt this way.