View Single Post
KEG123 10:20 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
She hasn't been converted to a bottle nipple.

I REQUIRE all breastfed babies to eat a FULL bottle (whatever their ounces are per feeding) in front of me BEFORE I start them in care. The Mother must come and show me that the child can easily eat from a bottle.

I tell Moms this at the interview so there is NO fudging on it. They can't just say the words "she eats from a bottle" because their version of the child eating from it is often different than our version of it.

They can see their baby once take a few teaspoons out of a nipple and be satisfied. I want to see the baby take a WHOLE bottle without fatiguing. I want to see that the child has a good seal on the nipple and is not sucking air with every gulp.

When the Mom arrives have her sit down with a baby bottle and SHOW you how she does the BOTTLE. Do that today.
My only opinion on what you wrote is this: Sometimes a BF baby will NOT take a bottle from the mother. Maybe you can do as nannyde suggests, but you could also feed the baby the bottle instead of mommy. Sometimes a bf baby just expects boob from mommy and refuses a bottle.