View Single Post
misol 02:17 PM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but am curious. How do you get around giving any meds at all? Is it your stance that if the child is sick enough to need meds then the child should be at home? What about antibiotics for ear infections? Some of them are 3 times a day. Or pain reliever for teething? Like I said, I'm curious, because I would love to NOT have to give meds at all!!
Question not directed at me but since I don't give meds either I'll add my two cents. I used to give nonRx meds but as of July, my state requires certification to even give nonRx and OTC medications. Providers can choose to either take the training or not adminster any type of meds at all. We can, however, apply topical skin products (diaper cream, sunscreen, etc.) We just have to give our parents a form detailing what our policy is on medication.

For children who need maintenance meds, anitbiotics, or whatever it is I still cannot and do not administer. Here is the medication policy from my contract:

XYZ Daycare does not administer any prescription or non-prescription medications. If your child requires medication, we recommend that you set up a dosing schedule that does not include the hours that your child is in care. Should your child require medication during daycare hours, you will be required to come and give him/her the scheduled dosage.

Non-prescription topical products (such as sunscreen, diaper cream, insect repellant, etc.) require a parent’s written consent before they can be applied. These products must be in the original container with the manufacturer’s label intact. Topical products will only be used according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Any exceptions will require a doctor’s note. All products should be clearly labeled with the date and the child's first and last name. Products past their expiration date will be returned to the parent or discarded.