View Single Post
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by Brittany:
This is almost exactly what I do, I just don't have the patience for making a big deal every time the eat something new.

Blackcat when you first get them, do they eat their lunch or does it take a few weeks?
Also how many of the kids will clear their plates for seconds? I have one little girl (3yr) who was an excellent eater, now she will just sit and watch other kids eat.And play at the table, won't eat and will even skip snack if it's something she doesn't like. I don't make a big deal of it, but hopefully its just a phase.
I usually get them pretty young so they "pick up" on the other kids' habits fairly fast.

If I get them over age 2.5, I have the most trouble but I just continue on doing what I always do and they either join in the others eating well or they remain "pickers" but I dont make a big deal out of it and just go about my business as usually.

Occasionally, I will reward the others (3 or 4 gummy bears or a holiday treat like a Hershey Kiss) but will tell them it's because they had such a great attitude and were willing to at least try something new..... rewarding those that do those things works MUCH better than trying to have or use a consequence or punishment (I do NOT like that word associated with food/meals etc) for the kids that don't eat or have poor attitudes about what we are eating.

If I have a case of more than one picky eater on a certain day, I make sure snack is something SUPER fun for those that did eat and then I will offer only fresh veggies with dip to those that were picky.

Most my kiddos eat 2nds and sometimes 3rd's if I have enough. I have 2 right now (one girl/one boy) that will both be 4 yrs old this summer....they are the first ones done hands down every day no matter what I serve.

Average meal times here are approximately 30-45 minutes.
I actually have issues with the lightening fast eaters because I feel they really aren't as hungry as they are wanting to beat everyone. I've actually had to have the DCB (mentioned above) wait for others to catch up so he isn't always the one that gets the seconds or thirds that are left.