View Single Post
Crystal 02:44 PM 03-12-2010
Personally, I would be having a very frank discussion with the Director. I would be very concerned about the turnover rate.....yes, turnover CAN be high in this field, BUT, a quality program that values their teachers and treats them fairly and respectfully should not be experiencing that much turnover. I would also be asking about their philosophy regarding continuity of care...your child should not be moved so much, and teachers should be able to stay with their group for as long as possible.

Of course, we all know stuff happens, and 2-3 year olds can be quick to hit/bite/ etc. BUT, it sounds like a common thing there.....what is the level of tension like in the classroom....is the environment overwhelming, with bright lights/colors, loud music or screaming/yelling children-as if there is no "control" in the sense that children are being provided with enough engaging activity, etc. to prevent boredom and chaos? How does the teacher respond to children...is she irritable and cranky, or loving and nurturing?

I would also be doing some unannounced visits. Drop in at various times of the day without letting them know you will be coming....what's happening when you arrive? I know it is hard to take off work to do that, but it's your child's safety and well-being at stake, you need to make the time, or find someone (like your sister) who can do it for you....and that goes for ANY program your child is in....you should do at least one or two unannounced visits just to make sure.

And, YES, I would contact licensing. There seems to be far to many incidents taking place and licensing will look into it to make sure that ALL of the children are safe.