View Single Post
Jewels 11:23 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
First I want to say that I know it's tough for parents to find last minute childcare on days that their providers close and I completely feel your pain. BUT, I think you are being a little unreasonable about this and should realize that you aren't the only person these closures effect.

I live in the northeast too and these are not little snow squalls, but huge storms. This month has seen the most snowfall totals ever recorded for the month of January... historic amounts.... one requiring a state of emergency to be issued. Maybe your commute was clear, but it doesn't mean that the other parents & daycare workers had it that easy. I work in a large preschool and this January, we closed once (blizzard conditions) and have had 4 delayed openings. Out of all those delayed openings, the public schools closed completely. We employees did not receive pay for any time we didn't work (but our dc parents were still obligated to pay per their contracts). I cannot use up "vacation days" because I don't get them w/pay. Vacation & sick days are days we don't earn money. That's pretty common around these parts and we accept this when we take the job.

Some of us have school age children at home. When the public schools close, we either have to stay home (and lose pay) or scramble to find child care ourselves. Because if our employer decides to stay open, we still have to hit those snowcovered roads, risk getting into wrecks and all to get to work to watch YOUR children. We do it if we can and most of us do it for minimum wages. So please don't take it so personally. It isn't just about your losses - these storms have effected everyone. And I will now take the time to give a shout out of thanks to the dc parents that I work for - I'm so grateful that not one of them complained when we closed for the day or had a few delayed openings. Not one.
Makes sense.................But you don't really know if any complained.