Thread: Shocked...
View Single Post
Missani 12:23 PM 02-18-2011
This just happened to my son two weeks ago. I gave him a bath, put his pajamas on, and got his toothbrush ready to brush his teeth. While I was doing this, he ran into his room. He came out (not 30 seconds later) with blood all over his hand and "gushing" out of his ear! It really does come out faster when they talk, eat, brush their teeth! He said he didn't stick anything in there, and he's usually pretty reliable, but we still have no idea.

Of course it was 7:30 on a Sunday night, but I called the pediatrician's on call service. They said it wasn't an emergency but to bring him in the next day. I put him to bed and there was a lot of blood all over his sheets and pillow the next morning.

I took him in and they don't know what happened. He didn't have an ear infection. They didn't see a cut or scrape in his ear. They assume he perforated his ear drum, but they couldn't confirm that either because he had wax in his ear canal that blocked seeing the entire ear drum, and they didn't want to try to remove the wax or poke anything into his ear since it was still bleeding. Anyway, they prescribed antibiotic drops and told us to come back in 2-3 weeks. When we bring him in, they will remove the wax and take a look at the ear drum to make sure it has healed if it was perforated.

Crazy! I hadn't seen anything like it before. I have seen puss/mucous tinged with blood come out of an infected ear with perforation before, but never this. Anyway, I'm sure the child will be fine, but I do understand that it is an alarming circumstance when it happens!