View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by Child Care:
I'm just trying to figure everything out before I sign up the first kids so I keep it all the same and not change my mind after one or two enrollments. LOL

My handbook is five pages and I have a place on the last page for parent and provider signature. Tom Copeland I think recommended it just as an extra form of proof besides the contract that the parents read it. I do go over each section in general with people when they're here, but other than that I send it home with them to keep once they enroll and also sign a copy for me to keep in their file. I have the handbook be signed and kept in each family's file because I may change certain things in my handbook as time goes and not update everyone's incase I do them at separate times of the year. I'm more likely to update the contract regularly but keep the handbook the same for over a year anyways.

You can eliminate the need for having to keep a copy of your handbook in each file by simply having one piece of paper that says something like "I have read and agree to the rules and regs in Miss C's handbook." and then on the same page I have a place to fill in hours needed and payment agreed upon and when it is due etc. The parent signs, gets a copy and only that one piece of paper goes in their file. Most the time the only disputes are related to payment and agreed upon hours so they are really the only points I include on the contract page. The rest of the things in contracts aren't ever realy things I have ever had to go back and prove to anyone (even after 2 decades in this business...)so I, personally see no point of keeping copies of everything else....kwim?

Do you have parents write out separate checks too? I can understand a daycare center that is large have checks be written out per child, but not a home daycare. I only want one check from each family. It all comes out of the same account.

Nope, parents only write one check but in the memo line it is shown how much is for who. So for example, one DCM's memo line (AND HER RECEIPT) reads $240 for Megan/$125 for Emily but the check is written out for $365. Does that make sense...I always think I explain things in a complex way...LOL!

Yes, each child will have two forms individually--that is why I have separate files for each child, but don't understand having multiple handbooks/contracts for the same family IF both parents are the same for all the kids. My food program form can have 3 or 4 kids on one form so that would go in the oldest child's file too. Immunizations would be separate just like the two forms required by the state, but the bulk (handbook/contract/food program) forms would be in one of the siblings files.

Our old food program forms used to hold more than one child but recently switched to one form per child. SO now one from per child in everything I do.

Like I said, my state requires it so I really have no choice in the matter and have just learned to condense so it isn't such a waste of paper but is still meeting the required regulations for forms per kid.

Please keep giving out ideas.
I answered in bold.