View Single Post
NeedaVaca 01:57 PM 01-10-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While I understand fully where you are coming from, I don't think it's fair for to say the family would be better served in another program....

Also, most parents DO work the same hours as clinics (Drs), dentists and eye doctors etc but that doesn't stop them from taking time off to take care of their family's needs kwim?

A huge benefit of therapy for a child is parent involvement. Parents really should be an active and open participant in their child's therapy. Taking the time off work to do this is simply a parental responsibility in my eyes (not including special circumstances) and it's not something I am generally inclined to accept as my responsibility when I am caring for a GROUP of children.
One child's needs shouldn't outweigh the needs of others.

But that doesn't automatically mean a child that needs therapy is better off finding a different program. It just means the parent needs to find a better way of managing their child's needs.

fwiw~ I am not referring to situations where it's a known and expected thing for a child. ie programs that take medically fragile or special needs children.
Exactly. The job I quit was actually at 1st Steps. In my state parental involvement was mandatory for a certain number of sessions per month or they lost services.