Thread: Weekly Menus
View Single Post
Cat Herder 12:07 PM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Can you post the recipe for peach and walnut loaf, puhlease?? I have drool on my computer.
As embarrassing as it is, I mostly do it by sight.

I do the simple yellow cake recipe, add whatever fruit I have handy, add nuts/raisins/sunflowers seeds if I have them (after putting them in a baggie and crushing them up a bit for my littles) then double the eggs to keep it from coming out runny (grandma's trick; makes brownies more cake like, too ).

I don't know that I ever really measure anything. When I add peaches I usually add 4-5 (peeled and diced). I also tend to omit the sugar and add applesauce instead. This last batch I added black walnuts along with the regular ones (1ish cups total) and it ROCKED.

If the mix looks too runny, I add flour. If it looks to dry, I add applesauce. Occassionally I will grab some powdered sugar, mix it with a bit of warm water and drizzle it on top as a glaze (when the majority of the group are being grumps, other times adding more sugar would send them into orbit so I skip it.

Simple Yellow Cake Recipe:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 stick of margarine (I use Land O Lakes with Omega 3)
1 cup milk
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

I will also tell you that I have just grabbed a box mix at times because they are under $1 on sale, I can't buy the ingredients that cheap, and I was feeling unmotivated....