View Single Post
e.j. 07:57 PM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
But multiply that to 12 children (legal limit for one provider in MA) and you make $48/hr for 12 children. That's about $96,000/yr, essentially being paid as much as a nurse practitioner. How many "daycares" watch one child? And you know you are charging more than $200/wk for a 5 day child. So tell me again, this time add children, not just child.
I'm in MA and my legal limit is 6 children not 12. Providers can be licensed for 7-8 children but the additional 1 or 2 kids have to be school age. I'm not sure but I would assume that would mean those 1-2 kids are there only part time - before/after school - so not likely to be paying for full time at least for most of the school year. Also, since our own kids count in our ratios, it's a good possibility at least one or two of the kids in her care are her own so she's not earning income from the slots her own kids are filling. Anything above 7-8 kids, the provider would need to hire at least one or more assistants. (How many assistants would be determined by the # of children in care and their ages.) Depending on where you are in MA, you may be charging more than $200/wk for each full time child or not. Providers in wealthier areas (suburbs of Boston for example), tend to be able to charge more than providers in others areas (central/western parts of the state) but they also have higher living expenses. Even if some gross $96,000, their net is far less given the expense of caring for so many children. The cost of wear and tear on their home and vehicle, food, utilities, cleaning supplies, craft supplies, napping equipment, toys, books, equipment specifically used in day care like port-a-cribs, swings, high chairs, car seats, etc., insurance, professional development, CPR, finger printing, field trips, etc takes a huge bite out of the money we charge for tuition. I know a lot of provides who would love to be making $96k a year, including me. Unfortunately, we don't make anything close to that.

Getting back to the original subject, though....it is legal for a provider to charge holiday pay/weather related closing. When looking for a child care provider, it's important to find a good fit for your child and family. Don't enroll your child in a program if you don't agree with its policies. If you feel it's unfair for a provider to require holiday pay, don't choose a provider who requires it.