View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 11:30 AM 06-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've read most posts here, and while an interesting debate, I just want you all to know what my children's daycare situation is.

1 person running their own daycare, they have 6 kids, all are full time (4 or 5 days a week). It's $1500 a month for 5 days, $1200 a month for 4 days.

Now here's the kicker...

These are the days off the daycare takes that we have to PAY for:
MLK - 1 day
Presidents - 1 day
Spring Break - 5 days (1 week)
Memorial Day - 1 day
Independence Day - 1 day
Summer Break - 15 days (3 weeks)
Labor Day - 1 day
Veteran's Day - 1 day
Thanksgiving - 5 days (1 week)
Winter Break - 10 days (2 weeks)

Now if you count that, it totals 41 days. 41 business days. That's OVER 8 WEEKS that daycare is closed during the year that we have to pay for. 2 MONTHS OFF, 1/6th of the year, that we are paying for without getting any service. And the worst part is this is not unusual for our area. My wife and I both work full time, and we have to trade off taking time off work to cover the days daycare is closed to watch out own kids.

So like I said, I've read most of the posts in this thread, and I agree that daycares should take holidays paid cause most others get them too. I'm all for the 10 major holidays a year, including days around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years (hell, take a whole week off during X-mas, that's fine), but 2 months off is a crazy hardship for parents, and there really should be some kind of law preventing daycares from charging for more then the first 2 weeks they take off.
Wow, thanks for your permission

If you want a law to limit time off, it would have to also include all business/jobs (including yours), not just the businesses that affect you. My husband gets 4 weeks off, so he should be capped right? My sister has been with her company over 15 years and has 10 weeks, so I guess she should give that time off back to the company she has worked her booty off for because YOU want a law. As Black cat said, YOU had a choice. Sign the contract or don't. Maybe their should be a law that parents who don't read the contract or who break the contract, should face criminal charges and jail time. I mean, when they bail on us and don't pay what they said they would pay, they are in essence, stealing from us, right? Obviously, I am kidding, but you would be amazed at the number of parents who sign contracts and the break them DAILY. Daycare is a privilege, not a right. Just because you don't like yours (even after you agreed to the terms), does not mean you have the right to make all of us change (through threat of law) to make YOU happy.