View Single Post
Thriftylady 02:25 PM 06-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've read most posts here, and while an interesting debate, I just want you all to know what my children's daycare situation is.

1 person running their own daycare, they have 6 kids, all are full time (4 or 5 days a week). It's $1500 a month for 5 days, $1200 a month for 4 days.

Now here's the kicker...

These are the days off the daycare takes that we have to PAY for:
MLK - 1 day
Presidents - 1 day
Spring Break - 5 days (1 week)
Memorial Day - 1 day
Independence Day - 1 day
Summer Break - 15 days (3 weeks)
Labor Day - 1 day
Veteran's Day - 1 day
Thanksgiving - 5 days (1 week)
Winter Break - 10 days (2 weeks)

Now if you count that, it totals 41 days. 41 business days. That's OVER 8 WEEKS that daycare is closed during the year that we have to pay for. 2 MONTHS OFF, 1/6th of the year, that we are paying for without getting any service. And the worst part is this is not unusual for our area. My wife and I both work full time, and we have to trade off taking time off work to cover the days daycare is closed to watch out own kids.

So like I said, I've read most of the posts in this thread, and I agree that daycares should take holidays paid cause most others get them too. I'm all for the 10 major holidays a year, including days around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years (hell, take a whole week off during X-mas, that's fine), but 2 months off is a crazy hardship for parents, and there really should be some kind of law preventing daycares from charging for more then the first 2 weeks they take off.
I agree with the others. I don't take that much time off, in my area parents don't have jobs to get that much time off. It sounds like your provider may have lot of teacher parents, who get that time off. If that is the case, then she has set her hours and days off to match what most of her clients need. But you DID sign the contract. And complaining about it after you agreed to and signed it, well that isn't fair. You had one option, which was not to sign that contract. Now you have another option which is to give the notice your contract requires, and find a new provider with less days off. So see, at the end of the day you did and still do have choices.