View Single Post
Unregistered 12:37 PM 07-26-2016
Originally Posted by CharlesReese:
I personally don't own a day care, nor do I ever plan on it. However,
I do understand that it is a business, but any business should know what is ethical and unethical or does anyone have a conscious these days.

After reading some of the post that had been written some time ago, I wonder how you think you should be paid for holidays and for inclement weather when you don’t watch children.

My problem is this, if you watch a child then you should be paid for those services. If you don’t then there should be no charge. My wife and I have to deal with her brother and his wife. They don’t have a day care, but they sure do operate their home like it is. (Of course there home can be treated as such.)

Earning my Master’s and learning more and more about businesses and how they operate helps me understand what is ethical and not ethical. So again let me ask the question, why should daycare’s be paid for services not rendered for bad weather, holidays, or when children can be watched by their parents?

Just saying, “you get paid holidays why shouldn’t we” is not an valid argument.

It’s dishonest to charge parents when you don’t watch children. I do agree that policies should be up front and in writing. But again are your policies honest? If they are, then I’m sure parents will enjoy doing business with you, if not your probably still going to have that migraine.

Companies still have to take out federal income tax, state income tax, health care fees, retirement, S.S. fees, and disability. Of course some of these are mandatory while others are voluntarily. So as a daycare are you doing all of this? Do you offer retirement for your employees, paid holidays, paid time off, and sick leave?

Again, why should parents pay a daycare for services they didn’t provide?

If someone on this blog can give me an honest and valid argument then maybe you can persuade me to understand why you should be paid for services not provided?
My Home Child Care is a Licensed Business. I have disrupted my Children's lives for the last 23 years to run it. I have laws I have to follow, my house, furnishings and yard are not "my own" to do with as I please. On my weekends, holidays and vacations, I am more likely than not, working on upkeep and changes that need to be done to satisfy my License. All the endless paperwork etc. just to do a job that most people would NEVER do. I'm "open" 11 hours a day. I get up before 4:30 and work almost straight thru till bedtime, to make sure I provide the services I am charging for. My business runs my life, not the other way around.
Besides, What part of Tuition don't you understand? I pay for College for my children. Tuition is charged for the degree, not the days actually in the classroom. My tuition charged guarantees that your child is loved, respected, protected, fed healthy foods, kept warm/cool, gets plenty of exercise, is happy and healthy when you pick him/her up and will be ready for Kindergarten when they move on.
No business can operate if their income is not steady. You want reliable Daycare? Shop around, look at their houses and ask what is offered but most importantly read contracts. If you want cheap, don't expect your child to be getting the kind of care I provide because it is just not possible.,