View Single Post
Cat Herder 10:44 AM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've worked at child care centers and I think charging for holidays is really just a way for the center's owner to collect extra money. At my center, the parents paid a flat weekly rate even for the weeks that had a holiday or inclement weather. Yet, all of the employees were hourly so we were not paid for the holiday or day off. The child care owner just collected that extra money from that day off and did not have to pay anyone but herself (she was also the director).

I don't understand when people say "well you're salaried in your job and get paid for the holiday so you should pay". That would be a valid point if the employees at the center were salaried which they aren't. You're only paying the greedy owner. BTW I have no children, just a former child care worker.
The issue, most likely, has nothing to do with payroll. More likely it is due to mortgage, business taxes, insurances, supplies, maintenance, etc. Payroll, in my experience, was not the biggest expense for owners. It was already figured into the total annual expenses, before deciding on tuition rate. The way to save money was to hire less experienced providers for less pay.