View Single Post
SunshineMama 12:10 PM 11-08-2012
If you want to try and resolve the behavior, you are going to have to be very vigilent and not let her out of your sight for a second. You will have to intervene each time, every time, and prevent all catalysts of her behavior. Over time, you can back off, as she will learn that you are not to be trifled with and that rule following is not an option. If you have to have her shadow you as a consequence for behavior, then so be it. Each time, take the time to explain the rules and why those rules are in place. "I will not let you hit Johnny. When you hit other people, it hurts them. I know that you do not want anyone to hit you because it hurts. It makes Johnny feel bad when you hit him. I want you to sit down in time out for 2 minutes and think about ways to be nice to your friends." Or something to that effect... It will take a long time to get through to the child. It takes a very patient, loving, and consistent person to get through to a child like that.

Personally, I would term however, but that is because I have my own children during the day and I refuse to spend more energy on a dck than my own child every day. Everyone can get the same amount of attention, but I am not dedicating my days to behavior modification. Also, I wouldnt want my children to see that behavior, and see mommy giving someone else attention for it, and them thinking it is okay to act up to get attention too. One bad apple can spoil the bunch they say.

Whatever you decide, make sure you are up for the challenge and can still give the other children attention and meet their needs.