View Single Post
Serpentine 06:23 AM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by Laurel:
In 20 years I never did one or had one. Learning was just a natural consequence of doing fun things yet all the children were prepared for kindergarten. We did 'school' things but there was no rhyme or reason, no schedule. It was just as things came up. I might notice that someone needed work on counting so we would do some counting activities, etc.

For my CDA, when asked about it, I wrote up something that described what I did. I doubt I have that anymore to share. I think I called it a Play Based Curriculum and gave examples. Anyway, I passed that test.

At an interview, I had a small stack of photos that I showed to perspective clients. I included at least one photo from each area. A picture of them counting rows of those dollar store glass beads on the carpet, painting, outside water activities, art, reading books with me, cooking, etc. Then, if they asked, I'd explain my philosophy and tell them we fill our days with fun and hands on learning.

I really didn't have to inform parents per se. The children would go home with artwork or a little book we had made. Or quick comments at pick-up like "Jimmy had so much fun planting seeds today" or "Jenny counted to ten today without any help." On occasion, I would text mom a photo of them doing an activity. I didn't do that a lot because I didn't take a lot of photos and didn't want them to expect too many but here and there I think it really impresses the parents. Everything was laid back and informal.

Edited to add: As far as schedules, it was like you. Only things like mealtimes, nap times and outdoor times were scheduled.
Ditto!!

We count as we stack blocks, name colors as we paint, learn opposites as we play and use everyday play as teachable moments. I have one activity planned per week on a monthly schedule and the rest of the week we do whatever interested the kids.

For example we are going to glue yellow feathers on a duck shape. I will base the rest of that week on what their interest is; feathers, duck, creating a craft or the color yellow