View Single Post
Chickenhauler 12:24 AM 10-18-2009
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
What state are you in? Have you researched the laws there pertaining to operating pending investigation? I ask because it seems very unAmerican to assume someone's guilt and therefore punish them BEFORE an actual investigation is started let alone before a conclusion from that investigation is drawn. I'm thinking it's probably (at the very least) borderline against your civil rights.

I'm not American but I did live there quite a few years so I have an understanding of how things work in the U.S. Personally, I think they are bullying you because most people probably don't know their rights. I would be googling that issue pretty damn fast if I were you.

Oh, and can you define the acronym "DCF"? For me. I assume it is some sort of child welfare organization but what does it literally stand for?
If you read the fine print on most facilities of this style (day care, foster care, group homes, etc) you will find that in there, is something to the effect that you will open your place of business, your records, and comply with all investigations, or your license is automatically revoked and you can be charged with obstruction.

It falls under the laws of "implied consent".....such as, if you drive a motor vehicle, you have automatically consented to undergoing a breathalyzer or BAC test if suspected of operating under the influence.

Originally Posted by seashell:
Well, they talked to my parents and a few of the neighbors and the official response? "There was no evidence to sustain the complaint". Of course there was no evidence, there was no crime! No appology, no we're sorry to have bothered you, nothing!

Sigh . . . Im glad it's over but I can't help having even less respect for the system now after the way I was treated. I spoke with an attorney who claim that if they ever show up again like that, I should demand a search warrant before letting them in the house. Letting them in? Im never opening my door again to anyone but a parent!

Thanks for the help ladies and gents!
I'd talk to another attorney, one that actually understands what kind of facility you are operating, the wording of the license, and what they are talking about.

Refusing to allow an inspection of a facility (in most states) is automatic grounds for closure. And good luck getting re-opened.

Think of it like a restaurant refusing to allow the health inspector in......yeah, that wouldn't go well for them either.

While what you went through was a major PITA, stop and think about it from the other side of the situation....they get a call reporting that kids in daycare center XYZ are playing in the road, and if they don't respond and thoroughly investigate, THEY are called out as being negligent, and the fault falls upon DCF for ignoring a complaint if something were to happen (a kid in your care playing in the street getting run over and killed).

About them not believing you, I'm sure they've heard more lies in their line of work than you'd imagine. The only way to get to the truth is a thorough, complete investigation.

They're doing their job.....however much it may seem that they are picking on you.