View Single Post
Fiddlesticks 09:11 AM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Is that before or after taxes? My income sounds really good....before taxes. Then I give a lot back for self-employment tax and all that, plus all the materials, equipment, etc., etc., we buy. Let's face it, running a daycare isn't cheap but people don't realize that.
This is a complicated question. My total income, minus my total direct expenses exceeds any former income I have received. But my schedule C takes deductions for my home that significantly decreases my taxable income. I do not consider this a decrease in pay, because I have a mortgage and other home expenses with or without daycare. I was a preschool teacher, then a home daycare provider, then an elementary teacher, and back to a home daycare provider, so I have a strong basis for my comparison; my bottom line is better as a home daycare provider. Also, I spent a ton of my own money both in the preschool classroom and the elementary classroom but was only able to deduct $250 per year, with daycare every penny spent is deductible. I have nine full time daycare children, and live in an area in need of more child care options (ie:daycare is expensive here) for comparison's sake.