Thread: Bottle Rot
View Single Post
sahm1225 06:59 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Without really going into parenting styles about bottles and sugary drinks I'll go into the comment about mom saying it's hereditary. Yes, it can be ... some people are more prone to dental caries and tooth decay than others because it runs in their families. They have weaker enamel etc. That being said, people like this have to be more vigilant that typical people when it comes to caring for their teeth (have to brush more often than typical, have to floss more, have to visit the dentist more etc) because of the fact that they are more susceptible to dental issues.

Parents that don't press dental hygiene on their kids will have more issues than just a struggle about brushing ... they'll have to find a dentist that takes a child their age (finding a dentist that works on kids under 3 years old is impossible in my city, we'd have to drive out 30 mins to find one), pay for dental workups (which can be costly), have to deal with the possibility of having to have their child knocked out if they're really young so they don't move during the procedure etc. Who wants that headache???

How hard is it to make brushing fun? My kids love to brush their teeth but we've also always brushed as a family so we've set the example for them. We also get them that dye mouthrinse that stains any leftover stuff that's left on their teeth so that they know if they're doing a good enough job or not. It's not a choice at my house ... either they do it or we do it for them, end of discussion.
Not trying to change the conversation, but where do you get the dye mouth rinse?