View Single Post
mac60 02:55 AM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
I have to ask....would you skimp on putting a fireproof door in place between the garage and the home if it were your call? Or would you just put up a hollow core interior door to save a few bucks?

I sure wouldn't......and I bet it was code for any new construction.

When my mother got licensed, she had to change her upstairs windows to egress style, and add an anchored rope ladder to one bedroom floor that could be unfurled out the window in an emergency. Think what would have happened should a fire break out WITH the old windows (which the cat could barely get through, much less a person).

But, hey, let's do away with all licensing regulations, why bother licensing and inspecting drivers, hazardous waste facilities, eating establishments, building codes, etc. Everyone will use common sense, right?

Without building codes, how many sub-standard roofs, walls, foundations, etc do you think would be built? I can see it now, 2x2 walls on 3 story buildings, floor trusses 36" on center, 1/4 sheating for flooring, etc etc.

With no licensing regs, how many sub-par daycare facilities do you think would be operating? You want to cry about how little you're getting paid now, wait til some mega corp opens a center that hires illegal immigrants for $2 per day to watch 25 kids each.....try competing with that.

The regs are in place for a reason, usually because someone didn't use "common sense".

Usually when you set the bar a little higher, you weed out those who are going to be half-assed. If someone gives up easily when faced with a few challenges, do you really want them caring for kids?
Chickenhauler.....I normally respect and agree with most of your post, but you went over the top here. Nobody was talking about using a hollow core door for an entry door, nobody was talking about the various building violation codes you described. I mentioned an existing entry door (not a hollow core door but an entry door) having to be replaced with one that had a much longer fire rating in her kitchen/garage, that is all. This poor lady has had nothing but one obstacle after another......for instance, she was told to have a fire inspection, but, everyplace and every surrounding county she calls, or numbers she is given to call to schedule it, there is always something----wrong county--don't do it anymore---etc, there are so many flaws in the licensing systems. How ironic a licensing office would tell you that you need a fire inspection yet can not give you a concrete person/place that you can call and schedule and have it done. She is still working on getting licensed, and it has been over a year, because of the obstacles of the licensing agency. Maybe it is not this way where you live, but it sure is in some states.

If someone gives up easily when faced with a few challenges, do you really want them caring for kids?[/quote]

.............................It is not just a matter of a few challenges, it is a matter of a person trying to make a living, being able to afford to doing it legally, following the rules, all I am saying is that many of the state regs are totally rediculous. I am talking about home daycares, where a family lives in the home and a person cares for a small group of children. I guess I see it that......if my home is good enough for me to live in and raise my own children, then it is good enough to care a few hours for someone elses child. Of coarse we follow common safety things, meds up, outlets covered, safe play area, fenced yard, healthy meals, appropriate activities, clean environment, I could go on and on. I personally don't need the state to tell me how/what to do, I have several parents that are in and out of my home everyday that see what environment their child is in.