View Single Post
Unregistered 12:31 PM 08-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Kids very rarely behave exactly the same at home as they do for others. So, the same stands to reason for sleep too. Your kid probably doesn't WANT to sleep (what kid actually does? They'll miss out on everything, of course!) but at daycare, there is a routine and rules to abide by and most kids will follow the rules, no problem. You can set the same rules at home, but if you do not follow-through the same way, the child probably is going to test you a lot more than they will their dcp. Maybe YOU have to step up and tell her it's time for the dolls to be put away and lay her down like the provider does at nap. Chances are, though, that if you haven't had this routine down the WHOLE time, you'll have a heck of a fight on your hands for at least 2 weeks (That's if you stick with it). My DCK's used to sleep from 12p-2p (usually got up around 1:30 though but the baby would sleep til 2). They ALSO went to bed on time. Why? Because the parents I had enforced their bed time with their kids. They had rituals. Dinner, bath, teeth brushed, bedtime. Every night was the same unless unforseen circumstances arose (rarely). The kids knew what was expected of them and it wasn't a problem. It's only a problem if you make it one and if you do not enforce the rules in your house. And if you did, your child would NOT be up PLAYING at 9:30 at night. Even if they are not "tired" why would you let them do something stimulating when you want them to sleep??
Reading comments like this on the internet while dealing with a lack of napping with my toddler made me think he just had to nap...and it made my son miserable. I spent 2 hours a day coaxing my 18 month old down for a nap, then again the same thing at bedtime. We've always had a steady routine, etc. When I eventually decided maybe he doesn't need the sleep everyone else seems to need, and just let nap time go, he was instantly in a much better mood. Life was better for all of us.
Few people I encounter have kids with as little nap needs as my kids, so I see why it's hard to understand - some kids just don't need much sleep.

Kids have different needs, and the best child care will adapt for the children that they have in their care.