View Single Post
nannyde 09:17 AM 12-30-2010
I think what you would be competing against is that most "minor" illnesses can be concealed by medication, incorrect history (by parental omission or lying), and attributed to allergies, teething, and ear infections (not contagious).

This means that in most circumstances the parents can have the child in their already paid for day care for at least the morning time until the meds wear off and the symptoms can not be denied. It's cheaper for them to send them to child care for part of the day and have to take the nap time off then it is to come to you first thing in the morning.

I think you would end up with kids who have illnesses that can't be denied and that showed the symptoms at day care the day previous. This would be like children who vomited at day care or who had explosive diarrhea. This would mean a very low attendance for you on Mondays.

I think you would have kids for one day shots pretty much because after the normal 24 hour day care seclusion the parent would be able to medicate and deceive again to get the child back into what they have already paid for. So I could see you having kids one day at a time.

I don't know if you could make enough money on things like chicken pox exclusions (now the shot is available) or hand foot and mouth. Whatever illnesses you dealt with would have to be in your face... can't be medicated... can't be denied with words kinds of illnesses.

If you want to know what parents REALLY want... they want a regular day care that takes their kid sick for no additional fees. THAT would be successful. In order to pay for that you would have to run two businesses side by side and charge an additional daily fee for the "going to the sick bay" part of the business. That would be hard to get parents to pay for daily. They would LOVE it if it were free so I don't know if you could get them to pay the daily "insurance" fee to cover the extra staff you would need for the times when they are sick and need to be separated.

I've never heard fo any business being successful with this long term because it is really easy to get your sick kid into day care at no additional costs.