View Single Post
Pandaluver21 09:37 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I guess I'm on the other side of that fence. I just don't feel like we can put kids in a bubble and never allow them to experience anything scary, weird or even violence. I don't think it's necessary for those things to be included in children's movies but that's the entertainment business for you I don't know what I'd do if a family was offended by a pg movie but I try not to shelter my kids in that respect. I just explain what is right or wrong with it basically teach them how to respond to stuff. My family ranches cattle. We recently had a steer butchered for meat for our family. My inquisitive six-year-old just realized where meat comes from. Anybody see Ferdinand? It really is no fun explaining things like that. I have kids who talk about their parents fighting and crying. I've taught my daughter a "safe phrase" she can use if she's ever at someone's house and needs to get out for ANY reason without anyone knowing that's what she's asking on the phone. I've had to teach my kids not to be polite to people they don't know if they are making them uncomfortable. Life isn't always bubbles and rainbows it's better to just deal with the bad stuff and focus on the good stuff. One last example... My 6-year-old really was interested in learning about jesus's crucifix recently. I had NO idea how to broach that subject with a 6 year old. Covid's gotta go because this kid needs Sunday school. Violence is simply a part of life.
I'm with you, most kid movies don't bother me unless it has bad words in it. I teach 4-5yr old's at our church and last week we talked about Moses. I said that the king wanted to kill all the baby boys and said how this was obviously a BAD thing. None of the kids thought it was good or funny.
I remember watching all of these as a kid and I didn't get 90% of the references that I get as an adult now. There's definitely some "kid" shows that I don't like for kids, but most are harmless. I think of road runner or tom and Jerry... seems awful now, but I don't remember thinking anything like that as a kid!