Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions

Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions What books and stories do you like best. Reviews are welcome.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default The Out of Sync Child

Has anyone read this book? From reading the back and skimming through some reviews, I think it would help me understand 2 of my daycare kids better. It talks about sensory processing disorder. I don't want to try and diagnose these toddlers, but I have some that seem to be "out of sync."
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Daycare Member

I was given this book a couple of years ago by a dcp whose dd was diagnosed with several "disorders". The book was recommended to her by her pediatrician. It certainly helped me to understand why this dcg was the way that she was.
Sometimes, just understanding that the real world affects a child differently, and not that the child is being difficult out of their "will", helps in dealing with the day-to-day challenges that child brings to the daycare setting
Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Daycare Member

Also wanted to add that most "typical" children - especially toddlers/preschoolers display some "out of sync" behaviors at times. Problem is that some children can't learn to handle/process stimuli on their own over time/exposure.
My specific dcg mentioned above, is still in therapy (many years later) to help her with her issues.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yes, I read it when my son was younger. It's a good book to read if you have a child with sensory integration issues. There's a second book called The Out of Sync Child Has Fun (I think) which I had meant to read in my spare time but never got around to it. It looked like it had some really good suggestions for activities to do with kids who have SI issues.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

We all have some sensory integration issues. For instance, I CAN NOT STAND to hear anyone chew gum. Heaven help the person who thinks it's socially acceptable to "snap" their gum.

If I were a child born today, I would be labeled with a disorder... when it's really just an extremely high (almost violent) intolerance of rude people who's mother never taught them any manners.

BUT... for some kids, it interferes with life. They can't join circle time, they can't socialize well, they can't have fun on the playground, and they can't focus during class.

The kid who can't stand the way their socks fit, or the way their blue jeans touch the backs of their ankles are normal, fussy kids. But, the kid who can't be in a room with normal noise might have a problem. Or the kid who keeps throwing himself against the floor because "it feels good" may have a problem.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Yes, this is an excellent book. There is also a book that goes along with it, it is "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" It has a wide variety of activites you can do with children who have Sensory Integration Dysfunction.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Growing1atime

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemommy View Post
Has anyone read this book? From reading the back and skimming through some reviews, I think it would help me understand 2 of my daycare kids better. It talks about sensory processing disorder. I don't want to try and diagnose these toddlers, but I have some that seem to be "out of sync."
Great book to read if you have a child that has been diagnosed with SPD. (I do) However, I agree with many of the pp's that say that it is easy to see a lot of these signs in normal children. The good news is that the information is very useful to help anyone that has children that are "hard" to handle.

Tags
book - for providers, books